[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 23 09:19:17 PST 2015

Yes, YOU would teach them those things.  But their parents weren't not taught effectively and they're incapable of teaching it in
any effective way.  So how do you expect it to happen?

I have been teaching those things for a long time to many children of mine and others.  Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't.
When it doesn't, and parenting through grandparenting isn't an option, I am not happy when there is no force, other than the shear
wall of the cliff of the cold hard market, to push them in the right direction.  And little to prevent them from poorly teaching
those things to my grandchildren.

Our society has the opportunity for extremely high economic mobility.  But it is not extremely high in practice.  Even children with
complete support fall down in predictably high numbers.  Once you've given up on serious education, had children, ruined your
credit, gained a few bad habits, and still haven't figured out relationships very well, little nudges aren't going to have any real
effect.  If it were just adults involved, getting by and maybe being happy on the minimum, maybe that would be fair and OK.  But we
shouldn't as a society fail to try to educate all children well enough that they have a good knowledge of and a fair chance at a
successful path.

We have to find a way to guide or assist or otherwise prevent failure by wayward parents while not destroying what would inevitably
be called the Sanctity of Family.