[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Fri Jan 23 09:42:17 PST 2015

These studies are misleading. High mobility in these studies is correlated with countries that have highly compressed wage ranges; it does not indicate economic mobility in the sense that most people mean it.

The gap between the top quintile and bottom quintile in the US is >$80k. In Denmark, it is something like $35k. These numbers are PPP terms.

In other words, a change of income (PPP) in Denmark that would be classified as “mobile" could be *doubled* in the US and it would still be considered “not mobile”. Yet in any kind of absolute sense, the US person would be much better off economically even though they are not in the top quintile. Or to put it another way, if you evaluated the Danish income mobility in the context of the US income ranges, Denmark would be among the least mobile countries in the developed world.

Any standard for “income mobility” that tacitly defines communism as the society with the highest income mobility is not that helpful.

Cheers,
Andrew