[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 23 09:57:52 PST 2015

If there are more than two players, you could decide to help one player to improve your position overall. Your view of a strictly
competitive system can still hold.  In the context of this conversation, you could even weaken a person by "helping" them.  Someone
raised expecting everything to be given to them and not taught the right principles would be helpless when all the giving stops.
And perhaps this is the, muddled I think, point of some conservatives.  The problem is that in practice, there are a lot of
circumstances that along the lines of starving a baby to death to teach them how to grow their own food.  The key component of tough
love is shrewd guidance, not stupidity and blind neglect.

Too many people equate "help" with throwing money at the problem and people, or at least haphazardly at people who say they can help
people.  I don't agree with that at all.  The best help may not involve much money changing hands at all.  Just matching the right
mentalities with the right students (in all senses) at the right time may make all the difference.  But "matching" and "teaching"
will need to take whatever forms are effective.

sdw