[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 23 11:21:37 PST 2015

On 1/23/15 10:23 AM, Reza B'Far (Oracle) wrote:
> Side-point on this thread -
>
> 1. There are no females commenting.  I think latest I saw, more than
>    50% of population is female and I KNOW that there are female fork
>    members. It's curious why they have chosen to abstain

Curious indeed.  Although I don't think we've taken any misogynistic or androgynistic positions.  People don't prepare, learn the
right lessons, ingrain the right habits, or have a reliable ability to properly train their children to avoid those problems.
Applies to both men/boys and women/girls.  Whether it applies equally and whether the available escape paths and ability to take
them are the same is a completely different discussion.

> 2. Obviously, given the nature of fork, almost everyone has at least an
>    undergraduate degree

Or (more than) equivalent, thank you very much.

> 3. The link that was originally sent out seems to make conclusions that
>    are not directly related to where the thread is going.  It's funny
>    that the article is not really talking about economics and tangible
>    assets as much as this thread is focused on it.  I assume again,
>    there is bias here given membership of fork.

We're on a derivative discussion which started there.
However, I think we could be said to be exploring an area of the Horrors of Middle Age, particularly those areas that tend to create
and perpetuate the HoMA.

> 4. With marriage, I think it's mostly confirmation theory - if you fail
>    at it, you think it sucks... if you succeed at it and have a great
>    marriage, then you think it's great.  Not sure if given the source
>    of commentary is so biased on the thread with little diversity of
>    thought, if there is a ton I've learned :)  No offense intended...
>    it's interesting to read... but all of it seems myopic... not that I
>    have any better ideas, but...

Sure.  I think we've been around enough to have seen and experienced directly and indirectly many of the things that can go wrong
with marriages, careers, and raising (and being) children, teenagers, etc.  I think we're far less myopic than we would have been 15
or 20 years ago.  And we do seem to have skepticism and difference of opinion of whether anything can or should be done, and if so
whether it could or will work, and what the alternatives are.

In what ways does this discussion seem myopic?  What are we not considering?

sdw