[FoRK] New Benefits of Marriage Study Actually Hints at the Horrors of Middle Age

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jan 24 11:17:54 PST 2015

On 1/24/15 8:58 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> I don’t really get what you mean, by selectively gaming people.

Avoiding hiring young women because they likely will get pregnant. Avoiding older women because they likely have children.  Avoiding
people with children because they might decide to stay home with them.  Avoiding hiring people who are married because their spouse
might get a job in another area and cause them to move.  Avoiding hiring single people because of their immoral ways and because
they might be gay.  Avoiding hiring older people because they probably have health problems.

One good thing about the big push for using paternity benefits right now is that it makes the argument for avoiding maternity leave
impact moot by making it equally likely for men and women.

> Another data point:
> http://www.kswo.com/story/27918885/proposed-bill-would-end-marriage-licenses

So instead, the government would be required to decide what the official religions are and what officials in those religions to
endorse so that there would be a suitable "ecclesiastical dignitary".  If I were a resident of Oklahoma, I would file right now to
be recognized as an Atheist dignitary so that I could perform marriages.  Or FSM possibly.  Or how about both?  Is there an L Ron
Hubbard handbook on minimum requirements to be recognized as an official religion?

> State Representative Todd Russ proposed House Bill 1125
> <http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16%20INT/hB/HB1125%20INT.PDF> in hopes of separating government from marriage by
> allowing religious officials to sign off on a marriage license as opposed to a county judge. Russ came up with the idea after the
> U.S. Supreme Court overturned Oklahoma's same sex marriage ban in October.
>
> Republican Representative Todd Russ says under House Bill 1125, a marriage would have to be signed off by a preacher, minister,
> priest, rabbi or ecclesiastical dignitary.
>
> "Put it back to what it was supposed to be and was originally a holy matrimony and a very solemn and spiritual vow," said Rep. Russ.
>
> If approved, Russ says the roles of judges or retired judges would change. They would no longer be able to perform marriage
> ceremonies. Some strongly oppose it because of what they believe it symbolizes.
>
> "It doesn't put the county officials into the business of condoning it or approving it or licensing it," said Rep. Russ.
>
> <<<

sdw