[FoRK] The fusion of anti-rationalism with anti-intellectualism - deliberate gullibility: My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Mon Jan 26 11:21:15 PST 2015

Illusory superiority, the above average effect, superiority bias, leniency
error, sense of relative superioriry, the primus inter pares effect, the
Lake Wobegon effect, and the California driver syndrome.  All right there
in the manual.

Greg

Svenson (1981) surveyed 161 students in Sweden
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden> and the United States
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>, asking them to compare their
driving safety and skill to the other people in the experiment. For driving
skill, 93% of the US sample and 69% of the Swedish sample put themselves in
the top 50% (above the median). For safety, 88% of the US group and 77% of
the Swedish sample put themselves in the top 50%.[26]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority#cite_note-26>

McCormick, Walkey and Green (1986) found similar results in their study,
asking 178 participants to evaluate their position on eight different
dimensions relating to driving skill (examples include the "dangerous-safe"
dimension and the "considerate-inconsiderate" dimension). Only a small
minority rated themselves as below average (the midpoint of the dimension
scale) at any point, and when all eight dimensions were considered together
it was found that almost 80% of participants had evaluated themselves as
being above the average driver.[27]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority#cite_note-27>

A survey by Princeton Survey Research Associates showed that 36% of drivers
believe they are an above average driver while using a phone for things
like texting or email compared to other drivers who are using their phones
for things like texting or email, while 44% considered themselves average,
and 18% below average.[28]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority#cite_note-28>