[FoRK] The fusion of anti-rationalism with anti-intellectualism - deliberate gullibility: My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Jan 26 13:02:00 PST 2015

This is not that.

Those effects are relative to a subjective & fuzzy area and are about not having a clear idea of ranking benchmarks along with not
having clear measure of your own skills except your perception.  Thorough testing could settle your ranking with reasonable error.

We were talking about various degrees of not accepting facts for various false reasons, up to and including the fact that they are
facts.

If you want it in driving skill terms: I feel I'm a better driver than you despite the fact that I may have wrecked multiple
vehicles, received dozens of citations, killed people, etc. while you have a clean driving record.  If you don't agree, then that's
just your opinion.  None of those failures were my fault.  In fact, I think you may have caused them.  And you're lying about your
record, probably as part of a conspiracy.

Sometimes: Inferiority superiority complex.  You can't be that good / right, and I'm not bad or wrong, so it must be a rigged game
or rigged score keeping.  Therefore, I have as much proof that I'm better as you do.  I know I'm good, but I'm not certain you are,
so by Pascal's Wager, it is a good bet to assume you are worse than me.  By my rules, you can't possibly prove me wrong, so I win.

Additionally, add in some false confirmation bias (such as: cultural warriors that vote with you, causing you to think they agree
with your logic on other things), might makes right, ends justifies means, and other misleading thoughts, and you could become very
smug in your superiority while being substantially wrong.

I see it as various types of immaturity: These effects are things that we've all seen and probably experienced at earlier points in
our lives.
Are we really so PC about childishness that we can't identify it? Childhood doesn't fully end until about 26 typically.
Additionally, there are certain mental changes / leaps / competencies that nearly always require living through certain
experiences.  There's nothing wrong with that, it just is.  It ought to be a thing to gently point this out without angst to signal
that someone may not have everything needed to be thoughtful about something.

Friends of mine who are 35-45 and haven't had children are often immature in certain ways that I can see but they don't perceive at
first.  If you didn't grow up black in a racist area, you are forever an outsider in that realm.  Generally, you only get to grow up
as one sex.  People who have been in the military in a war zone have insight that the rest of us can not be a native speaker of, so
to speak.  People who haven't had sex can't validly reason about sex.  People who haven't _really_, successfully had sex for an
extended period, can't completely reason about it either.

Perhaps it would be interesting to identify, characterize, and rank various maturities, the typical effects of them, and
countermeasures.  While the Passages books do some of this, they are very self-centric.  A politically and sociologically oriented
perspective might produce different results.  Truly knowing what it is like to be poor for significant periods, or rich, etc.  To
some extent, knowing those at certain ages will be qualitatively different than experiencing it later.  Just naming this is an
interesting challenge.  Situational metaphor complexes?

Is there any good work out there along these lines?