[FoRK] "Society is on a collision course with a choice between erotic liberty and religious liberty. Lawmakers: Your role in government is about restraining sin."

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 28 02:58:47 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 02:53:41PM -0800, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> On 1/27/15 2:43 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Is there any doubt how this is going to end?
> >
> >​No, which is why I usually don't pay attention to stories like this. Also,
> >Georgia.​
>
> Do you watch sports?  Awards shows?  Election night?  SCOTUS opinions?

No, of course.

> A Torvald rant?

According to recent tl;dr the man has gotten even more senile.
Nevermind the microkernel vs. monlithic debate, now he
thinks parallelism is a fad. "Four cores ought to be
enough for everybody". According to him, computing progress
is now over. Stick a FoRK in it, it's done.

I would rather say the core functionality of an OS is
done. Put into a tiny (it's not that it's doing much)
parastic system operating out of band. No more context
switches. Put a million nodes into a box, and run a
monotask on each of them.

Of course Torvalds is not of much use in a such a world.