[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jan 29 22:56:00 PST 2015

A) It is interesting that they could probably swing it.

B) It isn't my valuing that makes any difference in whether this is possible, it is Wall Street's valuation along with current cash
balances.  The relative valuation gap enables a purchase or not.

C) There are strategies that are possible for Apple: Greatly expanding the market for their apps, hardware, addons, mobile devices
could be argued.  Expanding the footprint of OS X or even any kind of Unix might be logical.  The two main arguments against would
be anti-trust and taking on a relatively low-margin business.  The first problem will dissipate if and when Microsoft is even more
weak.  The second could be managed.

D) I would argue that it is the right thing to do for the market. If anyone cared about something along those lines, the rest can be
rationalized.

E) If I were justifying something like this to the market, I'd add up all of the fees, maintenance, anti-virus, security failures at
fully loaded cost, etc. and suggest that a higher margin, better solution would save the market significantly.  Personally, I'd
foster Linux plus ABI support for OS X / Windows apps on the low end for free or some clever angle as a feeder to high end systems.