[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 30 12:23:43 PST 2015

Correction: I have considered IBM Bluemix, SoftLayer, etc.  No major faults with those efforts, other than being wary of future
lockin which they are specifically signalling won't be a problem.

Those cloud-based offerings are the right way to proceed.  IBM, with Java, did reasonably well in the past to get to this point,
although they did the same app server SOAP power grab that Microsoft pursued.

Oracle, by not completely squelching MySQL, and supporting Java reasonably well isn't completely off base either.

Microsoft, with Windows 10, just wants us to love it.  I'll love it if I can install it for someone in a couple minutes with about
the same effort as Ubuntu and never have to reinstall or do much to it ever again.  Updates should be automatic and very rarely
require a reboot.  That's par for OS X and Linux on desktop or servers.  This also includes not needing any security products.

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/300075482/microsoft-ceo-nadella-we-want-people-to-love-windows-10-not-just-use-it.htm

sdw