[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Fri Jan 30 13:04:40 PST 2015

> On Jan 30, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/30/15 10:34 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>>
>> […odd anti-Microsoft screed elided…]
>
> An unusually blunt pro-consumer screed I think.

Microsoft’s business is about the enterprise, not the consumer. Apple and Google are about the consumer, not the enterprise. Both Microsoft and Google desperately wanted to be in each others’ core business, but neither have the DNA to do it well. Microsoft accepted and reoriented around this reality a few years ago even though they have significant business units that are consumer focused.

While Microsoft are late to the game, they do not have a lot of competition in their core market which has bought them time.

> You mean running Linux containers on Azure, which wasn't what I was talking about, or running apps in containers in Windows?  I haven't heard they solved the latter, but it is overdue.

Why you would care about containers on Windows? You just spent words disparaging the idea that anyone would want to run anything but Linux servers. In fact, Microsoft has been building out support to seamlessly blend Linux and Windows server infrastructures and services.

My impression is that Microsoft no longer views the Windows operating system as any kind of long-term strategic cornerstone. It will generate revenue for a long time, and some very popular enterprise software runs well there, but it could fade into the sunset over the long-term and that would be fine. They are building a new, higher-level cloud-centric operating system for the enterprise market; the nature of the client devices are no longer their concern, they will eventually integrate seamlessly with all of them. There will be a lot of Linux under all of that.

> True, some parts are great.  Compilers, Visual Studio for the most part.  Can I run those on OS X or Linux?  Can I develop a Qt/C++ app for Android?

How is this even relevant? Ignoring that major parts of Microsoft's compiler tool chain have been or are in the process of being open sourced and ported to Linux + OS X, of course. Visual Studio and Xcode are designed for a significantly disjoint set of programming languages, so I am not even sure what portable IDEs would buy you.

My point had nothing to do with GUIs for compilers. Most of the interesting things are happening on the server side.