[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 30 13:25:22 PST 2015

>> On Jan 30, 2015, at 10:49 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/30/15 10:34 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>> […odd anti-Microsoft screed elided…]
>> An unusually blunt pro-consumer screed I think.
>
> Microsoft’s business is about the enterprise, not the consumer. Apple and Google are about the consumer, not the enterprise. Both Microsoft and Google desperately wanted to be in each others’ core business, but neither have the DNA to do it well. Microsoft accepted and reoriented around this reality a few years ago even though they have significant business units that are consumer focused.
>
> While Microsoft are late to the game, they do not have a lot of competition in their core market which has bought them time.

That's mostly fair, although there's little reason for most apps to be anything other than browser / Linux server based web apps.
It seems like the cat's out of the bag in those areas.  There is a radical divergence between traditional enterprise technology and
modern enterprise technology, as exemplified by choices startups make.  Google, Amazon, IBM, and others and to a lesser extent Apple
have proven the new models, and made them highly available.  Maybe Microsoft can battle on an equal footing at some point, but at
the moment it seems they are mainly benefiting from market momentum mainframe style.  Mostly I see debacles like Sharepoint: It
brought in piles of cash while providing quite a mess, powering a whole industry to try to make it usable.  The complexities of
programming for it are a perfect illustration.

>> You mean running Linux containers on Azure, which wasn't what I was talking about, or running apps in containers in Windows?  I haven't heard they solved the latter, but it is overdue.
>
> Why you would care about containers on Windows? You just spent words disparaging the idea that anyone would want to run anything but Linux servers. In fact, Microsoft has been building out support to seamlessly blend Linux and Windows server infrastructures and services.

For servers, there's little competition for Linux.  For the desktop, where a lot of constant pain happens, containers would be one
way for Windows to harden enough to be acceptable.  It is such a messy situation that may not happen.

> My impression is that Microsoft no longer views the Windows operating system as any kind of long-term strategic cornerstone. It will generate revenue for a long time, and some very popular enterprise software runs well there, but it could fade into the sunset over the long-term and that would be fine. They are building a new, higher-level cloud-centric operating system for the enterprise market; the nature of the client devices are no longer their concern, they will eventually integrate seamlessly with all of them. There will be a lot of Linux under all of that.

It does seem that they are thinking along those lines.  Viability is about whether they can actually divorce themselves of the idea
& practicallity of Windows centricity in time.  When I can install interesting packages with Ubuntu or MacPorts or at least the App
Store, they may start to be a player.

>> True, some parts are great.  Compilers, Visual Studio for the most part.  Can I run those on OS X or Linux?  Can I develop a Qt/C++ app for Android?
>
> How is this even relevant? Ignoring that major parts of Microsoft's compiler tool chain have been or are in the process of being open sourced and ported to Linux + OS X, of course. Visual Studio and Xcode are designed for a significantly disjoint set of programming languages, so I am not even sure what portable IDEs would buy you.

C++ is the common core language.  Although the trend is for IDEs to support multiple languages well.  .Net / C# are being open
sourced more completely, but practically nobody cares.  It is way too late.

> My point had nothing to do with GUIs for compilers. Most of the interesting things are happening on the server side.

Such as?  What might I consider integrating into a modern, scalable, efficient web app framework for both local and public cloud use?