[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 30 15:00:37 PST 2015

They definitely are not.  Their server side aspirations never went anywhere other than opaque services. Presumably they have cloudy
Linux religion there like everyone but Microsoft.  It's just that they're the first who could buy Microsoft and would, simply by
having the right processes and culture, do something interesting once having done so.

Google would probably make the best overall moves.  Amazon would be more logical due to location and existing cross-pollination,
however I think the result might sink because of a critical mass of people too-steeped in Microsoft culture.  And it seems that
Amazon's culture isn't totally effective either.

I don't think of it as "consumerifcation of enterprise", that really is about end-user devices and maybe end-user oriented services,
like Gmail, that are good enough for enterprise use. The Internet itself and related services like email evolved in just that way.
I have an article from a major computing magazine from 20 years ago insisting that Internet email could never be used by business at
all, only X.400 from GE or similar would do. (Yet another shill article it seems, or at least seriously myopic even then.)

Overall, it is more like "Linuxification / Internetification / modularization of enterprise."  This is the grand benefit of object
oriented design and software componentization, only in a slightly different form.  The "Grand Unified Refactored Enterprise."  GURE?