[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Fri Jan 30 15:02:40 PST 2015

> On Jan 30, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
> That's mostly fair, although there's little reason for most apps to be anything other than browser / Linux server based web apps.

There is your disconnect in one sentence. You just described the thin client. All the interesting, important, and valuable stuff is happening in other parts of a vast back-end computing stack that you are ignoring.

That aside, one reason to not use browsers for apps is that they offer terrible user app experience for almost everything.

> For servers, there's little competition for Linux.  For the desktop, where a lot of constant pain happens, containers would be one way for Windows to harden enough to be acceptable.  It is such a messy situation that may not happen.

I haven’t used a Windows desktop since circa 2002. My desktops work just fine.

> C++ is the common core language.

Wait, are we talking about client environments or server environments? You keep jumping around.

> Such as?  What might I consider integrating into a modern, scalable, efficient web app framework for both local and public cloud use?

Web frameworks? Welcome to the future.

Most of the value of the cloud for enterprises going forward is that applications running there have direct access to extremely large, dynamic data models and analytics of which you can ask simple ad hoc questions without knowing anything about the scale, velocity, or topology of those systems. It is seamless and magical as far as the developer is concerned.

The thin client is the most unimportant part of the environment. It could be any kind of client app. All the real work is happening deep in the cloud in places humans do not and cannot look.