[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 30 16:55:48 PST 2015

I feel that I'm going to value that post in years to come.

In this thread, people have agreed that Microsoft begun to cede the desktop (as being unimportant, moving away from toward browsers,
probably not going to be fully fixed), mobile (at least implicitly), and app and scalable services servers (where Linux has won).
Microsoft has cool gadgets and some serious server side large data / compute services that are cutting edge which are apparently
important to some types of apps.  Much of the rest is expected to be available cross-platform, but is currently not much.

When I look at the market for the best overall solutions for enterprise systems, except with respect to companies with A) Microsoft
momentum and culture who can't change or B) those who need a commercial application only available on Windows, I don't see any kind
of a competitive challenge to a local, hybrid, or public open source cloud stack.  The reasons to move to these technologies are
numerous: financially, technically, enterprise architecture wise (scalability, maintainability, etc.), flexibility, avoiding vendor
lock-in, ability to evolve quickly, etc.

Is that the techno-babble you speak of?

It is pointless to argue about exactly where the current market is.  Too complicated, too many things happening in ways that aren't
measurable or comparable.  (Does Microsoft have 90%, 70%, or 15-20% of the computing market in operating systems?)  Better to
consider what the right choice would be given a blank slate, tight constraints, a clear view of historical trends, and fearless
technologists (who can learn something new if it is better).  I think it most cases I could prove that a Microsoft solution is not
competitive.

Anyway, this is all far afield of the original point.

Some links anyway:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rajsabhlok/2014/09/12/the-frugal-cloud-powerful-business-software-on-the-cheap/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/linux-windows-microsoft-android-ios,20220.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rajsabhlok/2013/09/20/microsoft-kill-shots-how-ibmlinux-deals-the-latest-blow-to-redmond-empire/
http://virtualizationreview.com/articles/2014/12/01/openstack-dominates-open-source-cloud.aspx

According to Microsoft:
http://news.microsoft.com/cloud/index.html
Funny: Click on "75% of server operating systems are Windows Server.  Source: Microsoft." Click on that, and you get "Oops! That
page can't be found."
http://news.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/default.aspx

sdw