[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Jan 30 22:00:19 PST 2015

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:55 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> When I look at the market for the best overall solutions for enterprise
>> systems, except with respect to companies with A) Microsoft momentum and
>> culture who can't change
>
> There are a LOT of those. In every enterprise-software startup I've been in
> (and there have been several), I was always brought in to port their
> solution (initially targeted to Linux/Oracle) to Windows/MSSQL to reach the
> *other* half of the market.

I bought into militant portability a long time ago.  (Except I detest littering code with '\\'.  That battle is _over_.)  My
preference, even on Linux, is to build so things that they can be ported.
How much Linux did you pull into Windows?  Cygwin?  Scripting?

Porting often isn't that much fun.

These days, running things in a VM or as a black box ought to be more acceptable.