[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 06:18:36 PST 2015

Clearly you've never utilized the tools MS has had available for more than a
decade for anything other than cursory use.

Because if you had you're recognize they're a damn sight more powerful and
flexible than anything remotely available elsewhere.

But hey, it's more fashionable to bash MS instead of actually USING the
tools.

As for scripting vs GUI, most GUI tools that emit scripts do so mainly
because they lack the ability to actually do the complex things needed.
That last mile of user interface continues to elude a great many products.
That and a great many admin tasks for which MS targets their UI are not done
on a repetitive nor frequent basis.  Scripts left cold tend to be
problematic, mainly for being hard-coded in ways opposing the growth of the
systems they're targeted toward.  A GUI, on the other hand, typically bases
all activities on the live configuration of the systems presently in use.
Better, perhaps, to have a GUI hand-holding you through something
less-frequently performed than a crusty, old script no longer properly
configured.  There's room for both, of course, but in the real world of
customers that MS targets it's great to have BOTH.

Yes, if you're hips-deep in the same drudgery day-in-day-out there's a kind
of solace to be found in the cryptic pretense of job security through
obfuscated scripts.