[FoRK] News monitoring (was a topic now long lost)

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Tue Feb 10 13:43:50 PST 2015

Waaaay back, six months ago, on 8/31/14 2:23 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Nice.  And nice service.
A terribly belated thank you.  I am filling a whiteboard with:

I will answer email promptly, not tag for later reply and forget.
I will answer email promptly, not tag for later reply and forget...

> I may want to use your service relatively soon if the business model
> is compatible.
If "relatively soon" is still to arrive, I'd be glad to discuss that!

> Do you offer your site classification metadata as a service too?
Yes, we could produce it -- though I don't recall anyone asking before.

We already offer XML (including source metadata) containing excerpts (of
any length) that match boolean queries (or by theme, or other criteria).

We've also had clients who wanted only canonicalized, deduped URLs (no
excerpts) for their own fetch processes.

We discover between 60 and 90K new articles daily, after being in
production for over twelve years.  I wrote about URL behaviors for
Online Searcher in 2013, as we passed the 200 millionth article:

    http://www.infotoday.com/OnlineSearcher/Issue/3867-May-June-2013.shtml

    Questions about validity, reliability, and authority of
    news items continue to plague information professionals.
    It’s increasingly feasible to assess the relative value
    of an online news item from characteristics of its URL.
    This trend in URL messaging matters to those who seek
    online news and those who produce it.

Hmmm... that's still behind a login.  Here's my local copy:

    Full text: http://blog.nexcerpt.com/2013/05/01/online-searcher/

Enjoy!

GS

Gary Stock                                        gstock at nexcerpt.com