[FoRK] News monitoring (was a topic now long lost)

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Tue Feb 10 17:54:16 PST 2015

Thanks.  In reading it again now (as when writing it), I can't avoid the
taste of meaningless minutiae.  Putting enough bits together, though,
does reveal self-propagating patterns, and a slew of increasingly sloppy
industry habits.  None of it bodes well for online news.  If they don't
maintain a stable website, how likely is the business itself to be healthy?

I wish I'd been blogging the most inane discoveries of the past twelve
years.  Which sites add, then remove, "www" every few weeks.  Or, which
add, then remove, then again add a print version of every article.
Basically:  which servers are being managed by interns, which outlets
are committing SEO suicide, and so on.  There's data in that layer, too.

Another example:  last June, pretty much all 80+ Justice Department/US
Attorney press pages went silent.  No new postings for six months.  Late
last year, a few came back; in the past two weeks, most of the rest have
recovered.

Somehow, the indictments, convictions, and consumer warnings of Q3 and
Q4 2014 were not as worthy of publicity as before!  Conspiracy theory,
anyone? ;-)

GS