[FoRK] Quarters needed for Apple to put Microsoft out of our misery?

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Feb 19 12:28:55 PST 2015

*Deep Thought 1.0* is a computer that was created by the pan-dimensional,
hyper-intelligent species of beings (whose three-dimensional protrusions
into our universe are ordinary white mice) to come up with the Answer to
The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_to_The_Ultimate_Question_of_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything>.
Deep Thought is the size of a small city <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City>.
When, after seven and a half million years of calculation, the answer
finally turns out to be 42
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_%28number%29#The_Hitchhiker.27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy>,
Deep Thought admonishes Loonquawl and Phouchg (the receivers of the
Ultimate Answer) that "[he] checked it very thoroughly, and that quite
definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you
is that you've never actually known what the question was."

*Deep Thought 2.0 *Deep Thought does not know the ultimate question to
Life, the Universe and Everything, but offers to design an even more
powerful computer, Earth
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_%28The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy%29>,
to calculate it. After ten million years of calculation, the Earth is
destroyed by Vogons <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogon> five minutes
before the computation is complete.

*Deep Thought 3.0* Deep thought knows that in order to answer the question,
or even observe, Life, the Universe, and Everything(tm) it needs a computer
as powerful as "analog world analytics" to design it.  It ends up creating
the Universe to answer the ultimate question to life.