[FoRK] Washington is Hollywood for ugly people, and Hollywood is Washington for stupid people.

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Feb 20 18:41:25 PST 2015

On 2/20/15 5:04 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> For the record.  Silicone Valley vs. Silicon Valley?
> What are some other good contrasts?  Northiness vs. Southiness, Texiness vs. non-Texiness?

http://volokh.com/2014/01/17/jonathan-haidt-psychology-politics/
(Okish article, muddling facts vs. perceptions vs. confusion/quandry vs. prioritized decision.)

In the comments:

“Political tags–such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth–are never basic
criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The
former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons,
suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.”

– Robert A. Heinlein

“Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all
powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them,
cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests. In every
country these two parties exist, and in every one where they are free to think, speak, and write, they will declare themselves. Call
them, therefore, Liberals and Serviles, Jacobins and Ultras, Whigs and Tories, Republicans and Federalists, Aristocrats and
Democrats, or by whatever name you please, they are the same parties still and pursue the same object. The last one of Aristocrats
and Democrats is the true one expressing the essence of all.”

– Thomas Jefferson (Letter to Henry Lee, 1824)

These are interesting.  There's another article I have to find that has an interesting analysis of the book in the first link that
seems to explain a lot of Republican vs. Democrat position and confusion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/
And someone who questions things about the book:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/15/1221278/-Book-Review-The-Eleven-Nations-of-North-America#

Older: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

Nailed it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesusland_map

"The United States of Canada" and "Jesusland"