[FoRK] A Thrive/Survive Theory Of The Political Spectrum

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Feb 21 12:18:08 PST 2015

>> On Feb 21, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>>
>> Republicans want to control people socially (sexually, marriage, drug wars, conformance to religion, avoiding racial mixing and equality, etc.) for the benefit of society, not caring about individualism in those areas.
>
> This is a caricature of Republicans, or at least people who vote Republican, and is frankly out of touch with reality. Sure, there are Republicans that fit that description but also quite a few Democrats, often living in the same part of the US as those Republicans. There are many parts of the US where Republicans tend to be less religious and more socially liberal than Democrats.

I don't doubt that, but if you look at what is actually said in the platforms, campaigns, voted for, etc., it seems much more in
line with Republicans than Democrats.  If you're saying that what Republicans do and say is out of touch with man Republicans, I
think that is probably also true.

> You are conflating regional cultures with political affiliations. Until you manage to separate the two mentally, you will be forever confused by politics in this country. How types of people sort between parties is…all politics are local. A Republican and a Democrat in Alabama have more political beliefs in common than they do with people in Alaska that nominally share their political affiliation.

Those conclusions are mostly based on what they do and say.

> And in any case, there are vastly more Americans that identify as “independent” than either “democrat” or “republican”. Consequently, it would be far more interesting to characterize the large group of people that would not deign to affiliate with either party.

Definitely.