[FoRK] A Thrive/Survive Theory Of The Political Spectrum

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 07:47:23 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:08 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at jarbox.org> wrote:
> This is a caricature of Republicans, or at least people who vote
> Republican, and is frankly out of touch with reality. ...

Here in Texas, that description rings quite true. The Republicans here
not only trumpet their social conservatism, but implement it. State
laws have shut down abortion clinics except for a few in large cities,
making abortion unavailable for a large portion of the state's young
women. The last Democratic sacrificial victim in the gubernatorial
election came to fame for opposing that.

Republicans in Louisiana and other states are looking to copy what
Texas has done.

Obviously, yes, there are regional differences. But how does one label
"caricature" what is real in large regions of the nation?

This is a real loss of crucial personal liberty. Next to gay rights
and gay marriage, the largest personal liberty issue in our nation, of
our time. It is spearheaded by one political party. Yet... we're not
supposed to see that as a salient characteristic of that party?