[FoRK] PubSub NG Re: MQTT : Exploring the Protocols of IoT - News - SparkFun Electronics

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 27 15:12:37 PST 2015

Despite having grown up with benign (albeit frequent) fog in the East
Bay, that's exactly what I thought of when I first heard the term.  I
also thought of utility fogs, but that's going to require nanotech
that we're not even close to having.

"Low power data aggregation" or "mobile code" isn't nearly as
marketable, unfortunately, as "fog" computing.

Ken

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:
> Cloud spending is predictable and expensive.
>
> I'm guessing Fog computing is unreliable, cheap, and scary.
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080749/
>
> Greg
>

> On 2/27/2015 1:44 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 27, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cisco is apparently pushing a new buzz phrase of "fog computing" --
>>> just like "cloud" but distributed to the network's edge.  Anything
>>> that fits that nebulous description will probably get lots and lots of
>>> attention.  Support for mobile code?  Results aggregation in a mesh
>>> network?  Mix and match your favorite buzzwords....
>>

>> Cisco is a buzzword factory. I do not think “fog computing” is a great
>> term but it reflects something real.
>>
>> For a machine-generated sensor and telemetry data, there is not enough
>> bandwidth to backhaul all the data because aggregate bandwidth is a function
>> of distance. Additionally, many of the platforms are fairly specialized for
>> the sake of efficiency. Because the analytics are frequently operational,
>> this is creating the requirement for a compute topology that approximately
>> matches geophysical topology. To make matters worse, many platforms are
>> mobile which means the resource topology is not fixed. People are already
>> working on autonomous compute-optimized sensor-less motherships that can
>> locally coordinate sensor platforms that lack sufficient compute on their
>> own.
>>
>> This creates a need for constructing temporary ad hoc computing fabrics
>> out of remote resources that in aggregate have sufficient sensors and
>> resources to get the job done. Our software infrastructure is extremely not
>> ready for these operational models but they are coming anyway.
>>
>> Futurists talked about this for decades but it is about to become reality.

> --
> greg at bolcer.org, http://bolcer.org, c: +1.714.928.5476

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.