[FoRK] KnowNow lives! Google launches Cloud Pub/Sub, a messaging API - PandaWhale

Jared Rhine jared at wordzoo.com
Sat Mar 7 14:59:05 PST 2015

> Looks like the "key dfferentiators" from Amazon SQS or SNS are:

Something I noticed was an explicit subscription concept in Google's model.

I can set up fanout with SNS+SQS but there I need each client to create its own private queue and add itself to the publish endpoint to receive a copy of each message of a channel (and have something offline to clean up dead queues). I haven't gotten far with google's docs, but it seemed like I could have a client just subscribe to an endpoint and it'd start getting a copy of each message.

Corrections welcomed on either Google or AWS side.

SQS will allow clients to long-poll for up to 20sec. Google says they support long-poll, but I haven't seen specs yet.

Also, free during beta.

--
  Jared Rhine
  jared at wordzoo.com