[FoRK] Big changes (personal) ahead: soliciting help from the FoRK braintrust

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 23 13:22:56 PDT 2015

On 3/23/15 9:40 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> My current team just unhooked Neo4J. It seemed like a good idea but in
> practice added more complexity than it removes.

What did you switch to?
Did your problem need a graph?

Often, an app only needs to do graph processing in memory.  Object or document databases, which include RDBMS's that can handle
blobs well, can be a better alternative.  Or Hadoop / Spark for batch processing.

I only expect Neo4J to scale to a certain level.  I'm currently interested in Titan, probably backed by HBase rather than Cassandra,
as the alternative and for the real scaling phase.  However, once all the problems are well understood, most situations have core
data that can be mapped onto RDBMS or other kinds of noSQL databases easily enough.

> Every system component like a database needs a lot of TLC. You're better
> off using as few components as possible.
>
> Speaking as a serial CTO, I find it a struggle to keep up with hands on
> programming. Really hard to do my job and also find enough hours for
> meaningful coding time.

Definitely hard.  Usually, you can either figure out what to do or you can do it, hard to be up to date on both in any broad and deep sense.  Especially when things are evolving so quickly.  At least it often now seems like evolutionary steps are solving expected problems, often with general purpose solutions that are coming faster than developing a custom hack.