[FoRK] Nostalgy - keystroke filing in Thunderbird

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 24 16:06:13 PDT 2015

When I was actively working in Services, I opened a folder for each
project/customer -- I'd open a new folder if I had a second project
with the customer but with a gap.(there wasn't much in common
typically between project A and B even when they were at the same
customer)

Made it really easy to archive current work, as well as helping with
locating old files; the most common lookup would be "What did we send
them for a project <deliverable> two years ago?"  Also simplified
collecting documents when I had to get someone new up to speed.  If
you're not project-oriented, this sort of structure doesn't make sense
-- when I moved to solutions development, almost all of my email would
be relating to a single product.

The issue here, perhaps, are the different ways that mail gets
structured.  Outlook likes to differentiate between sent and received
mail (although the newer versions will show both in a thread).  Gmail
doesn't mind if a single message has multiple tags and the threading
is pretty good.  Traditional Unix-y mail acts more like Outlook, I
think, but it's been a long time since I regularly read mail on a Unix
box, to be honest.

Google Inbox does a good job of handling the sorting of
important/unimportant mail and allows tagged mail to be bundled
together in the inbox view (sort of like an in-place digesting) as
well as cool features like showing my flights in a more graphic form.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> I was thinking of creating something like this because I really needed it,
> but of course it already exists:
>
> Nostalgy makes it easy to save or copy messages to a folder or go to a
> particular folder.  This greatly reduces effort between making a decision
> and making it happen: It is just an obvious keystroke.  So, from the list of
> standard folders that I use below, I can assign alt-d to "save message to
> sdw at lig.net:dev".  "Save" here means to move the message from the current
> folder to that folder. Unfortunately, it is Thunderbird wide, so it needs
> different keystrokes for the same idea in different accounts.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/nostalgy/contribute/roadblock/
> https://github.com/alainfrisch/nostalgy
>
> I don't see a way to do this with gmail:
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6594?hl=en
>
> I like to clear my inbox daily.  Of the sometimes hundreds of messages I get
> every day, some I can use 'a' for quickly archiving messages.  I pretty much
> use that for spam.  For the rest, I use these folders for most things.  I
> still have quite a few procmailrc rules, but many messages aren't handled,
> often because I want to be aware of them first.
>
> 0todo
> 1realTodo
> AI
> bought
> dev
> ed
> family
> friends
> legal
> meetups
> nleads (hiring / job releated)
> press (catch all, non-spam misc.)
> relocation (should be home, anything related to living/moving)
> subscriptions
> travel
>
> And a few specifics:
> FoRK
> flight
> photography
> writing
>
> Does anyone have a better or significantly different folder organization?
>
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn:
> http://sdw.st/in
> V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407
> AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres
> Personal: http://sdw.st facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.