[FoRK] Nostalgy - keystroke filing in Thunderbird

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 24 16:15:52 PDT 2015

On 3/24/15 4:06 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> When I was actively working in Services, I opened a folder for each
> project/customer -- I'd open a new folder if I had a second project
> with the customer but with a gap.(there wasn't much in common
> typically between project A and B even when they were at the same
> customer)
>
> Made it really easy to archive current work, as well as helping with
> locating old files; the most common lookup would be "What did we send
> them for a project <deliverable> two years ago?"  Also simplified
> collecting documents when I had to get someone new up to speed.  If
> you're not project-oriented, this sort of structure doesn't make sense
> -- when I moved to solutions development, almost all of my email would
> be relating to a single product.

Aren't there other ways to slice it even there?

> The issue here, perhaps, are the different ways that mail gets
> structured.  Outlook likes to differentiate between sent and received
> mail (although the newer versions will show both in a thread).  Gmail
> doesn't mind if a single message has multiple tags and the threading
> is pretty good.  Traditional Unix-y mail acts more like Outlook, I
> think, but it's been a long time since I regularly read mail on a Unix
> box, to be honest.
>
> Google Inbox does a good job of handling the sorting of
> important/unimportant mail and allows tagged mail to be bundled
> together in the inbox view (sort of like an in-place digesting) as
> well as cool features like showing my flights in a more graphic form.

Thunderbird now fully supports tagging in messages.  I don't use it yet, being folder organized forever, but I will at some point.

The magical email reactions are cool.  Hopefully we'll get a nice open event / reaction system that is integrated in our email and
other streams.
All related to pain points for me that I'm interested in.