[FoRK] Big changes (personal) ahead: soliciting help from the FoRK braintrust

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:54:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 3/23/15 9:40 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>
>> My current team just unhooked Neo4J. It seemed like a good idea but in
>> practice added more complexity than it removes.
>>

> What did you switch to?

Mongo and Postgres.

> Did your problem need a graph?

The product requires spidering all the various sites where a band has a
presence and linking the data from those sites. We link up their content
from Soundcloud, Twitter, FB, YouTube, as well as image vendors like Getty
and AP. It's hard not to see this as a graph problem.

But we in practice we really weren't using graph algorithms.

Maybe that will change once I have been here longer and get around to
architecture of the crawler and knowledge graph.

> Often, an app only needs to do graph processing in memory.  Object or
> document databases, which include RDBMS's that can handle blobs well, can
> be a better alternative.  Or Hadoop / Spark for batch processing.

Yup. That's us to a T.