[FoRK] Atom vs. JSON? Re: Microsoft gets a new religion: Visual Studio Core, aka Atom

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 2 16:33:42 PDT 2015

It's good news, I think.  Of the three mainstream IDE's I've used,
Visual Studio has been the best for the "complete a simple project"
task.  (Netbeans second and Eclipse third, IMHO).  One more step in
the Microsoft's progression from specialized, proprietary technologies
to industry-standard, often open source ones.

With my legacy software hat on, it seems to me that someone up high
has decided Microsoft's future lies, in part, in "opening up" their
tools and products to "unlock their value."  The former is certainly
needed -- more than one major company I talked to in my job search has
tied their future to an almost completely OSS stack -- but the latter
may be somewhat wishful thinking.  Not that Microsoft doesn't have
unique and valuable technologies (cf. LINQ and their whole Entity
approach to databases), I'm just not sure they can actually make any
money doing this given that they weren't making a lot of money (or
any, according to some) on their tools when Microsoft's products were
almost entirely closed source.

My opinion may have been formed working for a company famous for its
legacy software (a euphemism that has become a dysphemism), but the
battle is no longer to beat your traditional commercial competitors
but to be relevant at all in a containerized open source world.

Ken Meltsner

Ken Meltsner

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Emma Humphries <ech at emmah.net> wrote:

>> On May 2, 2015, at 3:14 PM, Dr. Ernie Prabhakar <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>>> On May 1, 2015, at 8:30 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Atom is taking over.  Well, eventually, some rough edges so far.
>>
>> Really?  I thought Atom had been mostly killed by JSON.  Am I missing something?
>
> Atom’s also the name of GitHub’s chrome based editor: https://atom.io
>
> I’m trying out Studio Code this week, needs a setting to recognize vim keystrokes. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> — Emma

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.