[FoRK] Microsoft gets a new religion: Visual Studio Code, aka Atom

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 3 12:31:31 PDT 2015

> Oh, and don't forget this one, you download them in two different places and are two completely different artifacts when you
> install them.
>
> Greg
>
> On 5/3/2015 11:29 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>> Okay, I parsed this sentence as this group:
>>
>> Why do you think it is different?
>> Why do you think it was different?
>> Why did you think it is different?
>> Why did you think it was different?
>>
>> The answer is the same to all of those questions.
>>
>> The two tools look different.
>> The two tools are different in articles.
>> The two tools are described differently.

The editors look exactly the same, other than color theme.  The articles both clearly refer to a new product announced at Build 2015
called "Visual Studio Code", which is unambiguous.

My link:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/cloud-computing/1000709/what-is-visual-studio-code-and-why-microsoft-has-made-it-free
> Cloud Computing
> Simon Bisson

> Adding a new member to its Visual Studio IDE family, Microsoft
> <http://www.pcpro.co.uk/cloud-computing/1000709/what-is-visual-studio-code-and-why-microsoft-has-made-it-free#> today launched
> Visual Studio Code. Based around Github’s Electron, a cross-platform version of its Atom code-editing component based on
> JavaScript and HTML5, Code is a fully featured IDE for developers working with Microsoft’s open cloud technologies – with versions
> for Mac OS, Linux and Windows.
>
> A free download, Code downloads and installs quickly. I had it running on Windows and Mac OS within minutes of the download being
> released. It’s a very early release, but already includes code highlighting and code-completion features.
>
> Demonstrated by Scott Hanselman on stage at Build 2015
> <http://www.pcpro.co.uk/computing/1000708/microsoft-build-2015-live-stream-blog-and-latest-announcements>

There is no link to the product site.  google: "visual studio code" leads directly to: https://code.visualstudio.com/

Your link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vscode/archive/2015/04/29/announcing-visual-studio-code-preview.aspx?CR_CC=200627908
> Welcome to the new Visual Studio Code blog. ... today Scott Guthrie announced a new member of the Visual Studio Family in the
> //Build keynote <http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/KEY01>.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/archive/2015/04/29/introducing-visual-studio-code-visual-studio-2015-rc-application-insights-public-preview-and-net-core-for-linux-and-mac.aspx
Which links to:
https://code.visualstudio.com//

visualstudio.net links to https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us which has the same Visual Studio Code preview as the previous link.
Learn more goes to:
https://www.visualstudio.com/products/code-vs

The Microsoft article fails to mention some details, but they are clearly talking about and pointing to the same thing.  Both
download paths lead to VSCode-osx.zip.  So, what are you saying again?

>> VisualStudio.net for Linux and OSX would have to retroactively go back
>> and reimplement their core engine in the manner described, open source
>> it, and then claim they are not different, but they are.

What are you talking about?  VisualStudio.net (visualstudio.com really) has links for Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio Online (a
competitor to Jira / Github work flow / issue tracking it seems), and Visual Studio, a Windows-only executable.

>> Maybe plainspeak seems like doublespeak to you this morning?

Explain my confusion, because so far...

>> Greg

sdw