[FoRK] The Great Prohibition - Title IX craziness

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Mon Jun 1 22:00:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Bill Kearney <wkearney99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Which, perhaps, reads more like you haven't had a date in over a decade...
> heh.

It could read that way, but that's not the case.

> In a school or work environment there's a lot to be said for avoiding the
> complications of relationships with those outside your peer group.
> Teacher/student, boss/employee, etc.  Those situations in which you're
> paying to attend, or being paid to work, aren't dating situations.  Though
> plenty will try to argue or present all kinds of anecdotal exceptions
> otherwise.  For the most part the prohibitions have merit.

Sex and power go hand in hand. One of the most powerful effects is called
"The podium effect": the man that has everyone's attention is the most
attractive to women. It seems foolish to try to legislate and regulate away
the effect of one of the most powerful aphrodisiacs known to mankind.

> The situation presented, however, seems the classic result of people
> putting their heads so far up their own asses that when they see daylight
> they think it's progress.  Perhaps this, like the Rolling Stone article,
> will serve to get people second-guessing their overly paranoid perspectives.

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even
without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that
every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a
long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and
which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. .… You could strike sparks
anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing
was *right*, that we were winning.…

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the
forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need
that. Our energy would simply *prevail*. There was no point in fighting—on
our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a
high and beautiful wave.…
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill ... and
look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost *see* the
high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

That place where the wave broke might have been 2014.