[FoRK] The Great Prohibition - Title IX craziness

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 2 09:48:20 PDT 2015

IIRC, the real outliers for European languages are Finnish and
Hungarian (related only to each other), and Basque (related to nothing
else).  Just about everything else is at least cousin close, I think.

What fascinates me is how some languages have split off within
relatively recent times -- the divergence of Serbian and Croatian and
related dialects, or just how far Brazilian Portuguese has moved away
from European Portuguese.  The written versions are still close for
Portuguese (various spelling differences) but the pronunciation is
almost mutually unintelligible to my ears.

Ken

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to learn a while back that German and Hindi are so close,
>> as Sanskrit was an ancestor to both.
>

> Yep. That's where some of the "Aryan" nonsense came from.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_race

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.