[FoRK] The Great Prohibition - Title IX craziness

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 2 09:51:44 PDT 2015

Russian often sounds like English played backwards to me, but I also sometimes pull out words that seem very clear.  Fun how
handling many dialects and torturing of English plus bits of other languages allows you to hear things more flexibly.  I often act
as interpreter (at least of tortured English) in groups.  A couple years ago I found that I could read a Portugese technical paper
just fine based on my smatterings of various languages that I kinda sorta know.  I'm still pretty feeble on the foreign language
capability scale, but I sort of don't think of things as different languages so much anymore, more like different styles.

Back to learning Kanji.  Some of them are funny, although some of that is medievally crude.  Even more funny that native Chinese /
Japanese speakers generally don't know anything about the etymology of most Kanji, even obvious ones like "mother".  That one is so
obvious, I find it funny that it is not obvious to them, even without being taught.  One friend seemed uncomfortable when I pointed
it out, so maybe it is modesty-based pseudo ignorance, although I don't see how you can maintain that about things so plain in a
language.  In Japanese, the word for "princess" is "prince's behind" since she always walks behind the prince.  The word for "ticket
booth" or "ticket window" is "little old lady in a house".

sdw