[FoRK] The Great Prohibition - Title IX craziness

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 2 10:00:55 PDT 2015

Do Finnish and Hungarian sound similar?  My samples were widely separated, but I don't think so.

Suomi is so different that when you hear people speaking Swedish in Finland it sounds like English because there is at least some
overlap.

For a long time I worked with two Fins, a younger one with perfect English and the other with a severe speech impediment along with
a strong Finnish accent.  Often on conference calls.  Ouch.  The younger one was fine working with us, easy to understand too.  He
eventually pointed out that our direct confrontation style when debating things would have appalled typical Finnish business people
who go to great lengths to be respectful, deferential, and circumspect.  <Head nod>, yes, I see...  Except when locals are drunk,
then they're belligerent for fun.  I only had one guy taking swings at me while there for a week.

He also taught me a Finnish drinking joke, which I retell to Fins I meet, like the game dev team at a startup event.  They're
implementing episodes in a world / story game that tells this well known cultural story.  I have a picture of the book for the next
time I'm going to Finland.

sdw