[FoRK] The collapse of the .net ecosystem

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 20 14:10:33 PDT 2015

For a friend, a little while ago I went looking for a WordPress developer.  It was hard to find, even at HTML5DevConf and various
forums.  I ended up with 3 leads, individuals or very small firms, and eventually another one in Indiana.  It's just not on
forward-looking developers radar, so none of the in-crowd is interested, even if many of them were deep into it a few years ago.  My
friend needed it because he'd started by working with a little company that had built part of a web system using WordPress.  But
when they tried to finish it, they eventually couldn't make progress.  Semi-developers or some other issue.  I questioned the
ability and headache scaling what they had built, etc. as I would have used more modern methods.

I think, at least in many areas, the C# market is like that: Companies have a lot of systems already constructed with C# that need
maintained and extended.  Even for new things, it is a technology that they are already invested in, have a staff for, even if it is
dwindling.

I started and lived in Ohio for a long time, and at various companies of all types, including Fortune 500, 100, and 10 levels.  I
know what a technological backwater is and why Cobol hung on so long.  When I installed Bank of America's first Internet firewall
and web server in 1994 in Concord, CA, the rest of the network was running 4Mb Token Ring, which I'd never actually seen or used.
The network throughput between buildings was as low as 75KB/sec, making the Internet unimpressive compared to what I had in my
little server closet.  They paid $1000 to get a Token Ring card for a Mac they had.

What Unicorn, hot startup, or really any startup that you respect, is using C# (outside of Unity)?  Windows?  Visual Basic?  There
are several generations of Java libraries and frameworks that are in various states of obsolescence, and even Java itself is
somewhat challenged, if not threatened.

Unity has, for now, provided an island of relevance for C#, but Unreal (which went back to C++) and others are working against
that.  Javascript, and the Javascript+ typed front-ends, and even C++->Javascript, are becoming ever more widely applicable, even
for some gaming.  Android has strengthened Java, which still also has wide use/support in cloud and enterprise computing.  It's
being challenged by Go, Javascript, Python, etc., although apparently server-side C++ just can't get respect.  I'd be interested in
Qt+C++11 myself for server side dev, but for a few reasons, splitting web apps between Node & Go, with specific subsystems in Java /
Python / C++, seems promising right now.

Python, it has pockets where it seems strong (math/HPC/ML), and other areas where it seems failed (client apps or web apps client or
server).  There are various other niches.  But for the best architectural and technological ideas and tools, where is the momentum
and acceleration going?

In 1998 or so, I had a Linux vs. BSD discussion with a friend who was a BSD contributor.  He was certain that BSD was better for
various reasons, better security, TCP stack, etc.  Sure, probably is, I allowed, but it didn't matter: Linux had momentum and
acceleration of that momentum that nothing was going to match. Various network effects of the people that count, openness of
gathering and refining the best ideas, Linus driving, and companies left out of other avenues were converging around the right
ideals, principles, and culture of common cause.  That's happening now, in a way better than before, in web tech.  Several things,
even from unexpected directions such as LLVM, have come together for an interesting confluence that has plenty of opportunity.  What
else is getting that kind of attention right now?

sdw