[FoRK] The collapse of the .net ecosystem

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Sat Jun 20 15:29:21 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> What Unicorn, hot startup, or really any startup that you respect, is
> using C# (outside of Unity)?  Windows?  Visual Basic?

​So I've been in several enterprise software startups
(Rubric/Broadbase/Kana, Centerrun, Collation) that started off only
supporting Linux customers but ended up needing to support Windows
customers as well (​for the same reason as needing to support Oracle, even
if the product ran fine on PostgreSQL -- customer lock-in, which, Stephen,
I know you're familiar with). And in those startups I was hired as the
Windows expert charged with adding or maintaining Windows support for the
product.

In each case, the product was primarily implemented in Java, with the
exception of some OS specific code to e.g. list processes, find which ports
and other resources those processes used, start processes, etc. For the
Windows side I usually used .NET and WMI, accessed via C#. I chose C#
because it's a safer language and it's not hard for the Java developers to
understand the code (since C# and Java are so similar). If there were
*free* and reliable Java bindings for .NET and WMI and Win32, I would have
used Java. (There are things like https://www.javonet.com/ but they are not
cheap.)

So that's one reasonable use case for C#.