[FoRK] The collapse of the .net ecosystem

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 21 00:34:10 PDT 2015

On 6/20/15 4:15 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> Two big challenges/opportunities right now for the .Net/Windows
> hegemony: containerization and cross-platform mobile.  Otherwise, I
> suspect most mid-range programmers would just as soon use Java on top
> of Windows or Linux.
>
> In the corporate world, Windows still reigns.   The license
> difficulties with creating Windows appliances via virtualization are a
> serious pain (read "nearly complete barrier"), but if Dockerized
> Windows actually works, it could keep Windows alive in corporations.
> Otherwise, I think the containerization story is just too strong for
> Windows to compete for much longer.  Right now, my former employer had
> to recommend that customers spin up 3 complete environments for
> development, test, and production when deploying complex applications.
> Containerization reduces the overhead (duplicated files) associated
> with virtualization, as well as simplifying promotion between
> environments.
>
> In terms of mobile, Tamarin (C#-based) has gained some traction; my
> general feeling is that cross-platform for mobile is likely to be
> inferior to the platform-specific tools, but there is a huge demand
> for mediocre applications in the corporate world.

It's in a race with Javascript and wrapped Javascript environments, Apache Cordova / Phonegap et al.  For mediocre apps, I fail to
see the allure of Tamarin vs. that path.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2907534/mobile-development/go-cross-platform-with-apache-cordova.html
http://appindex.com/blog/ten-best-cross-platform-development-mobile-enterprises/

When are we going to have Swift on Android and Javascript / Enscripten???

sdw