[FoRK] Python, Re: The collapse of the .net ecosystem

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 21 12:01:25 PDT 2015

On 6/20/15 2:10 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> Python, it has pockets where it seems strong (math/HPC/ML), and other areas where it seems failed (client apps or web apps client
> or server).  There are various other niches.  But for the best architectural and technological ideas and tools, where is the
> momentum and acceleration going?

> sdw
Python is now the go to language for learning to program.  Like Java, Visual Basic, etc. before, this is going to boost it.  With
great libraries, and easy ways to integrate C++ into it to create scripting for powerful C++ code, and the ability to be embedded
easily (which Java fails at) while being better than a toy language (Lua), it is going to go strong for a while.  It has a lot of
competition from Javascript, with Node being much more of the Python equivalent, hence the use of "Node" as a language reference
almost separate from Javascript and very separate from HTML5.

Javascript isn't going away because of web browsers, and the JIT engines are now as good as they need to be for most things.  Python
and Java aren't likely to go away because of their footprint.  C++ is the basis of everything, and where core performance modules
should be built, but fast code development can often be done in a more scripted (Javascript, Python) or otherwise simplified and
confined language (Java, C#).

So, have people combined them?  I completed/published JavaGlue for full-featured Java->C++. (I am overdue to publish my update which
is much easier to use.)  Python->C++ and Javascript->C++ exist.  What about Javascript+Python (or Python+Javascript if that's your
persuasion)?  A quick look finds some interesting options to digest:

https://www.codementor.io/python/tutorial/integrating-nodejs-python-how-to-write-cross-language-modules-pyexecjs
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyExecJS

Related:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/nodeenv - Node setup environment via Python, with Python
http://gearman.org/ - Multithreaded / process Jobs, communication, etc.
http://blog.thoonk.com/ - Redis messaging (via shared memory?) for efficient distributed multi-language work.
https://github.com/andyet/thoonk.js
https://github.com/andyet/thoonk.py

Python (and other things) transpiler:
http://rusthon-lang.blogspot.com/2015/06/rusthon-overview.html
https://github.com/rusthon/Rusthon  (Used to be PythonJS)

Python in Javascript:
http://www.skulpt.org/
http://pyjs.org/
http://www.brython.info/

Related article that popped up today:

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-Python-is-a-dying-language
> have been a core Python user for  quite a few years now and am even working with them(Python Software Foundation) through Google's
> Summer of Code,2015 . Before I go on to explain how soon Python is going to die and Assembly achieve immortality , a few stats :-
> So 29.8% of the Computer Science community used a "dying language" in 2013 . So we should expect that there would be a drastic
> decrease in the number 0f Python users in the following year (Note : Assembly is not even on the chart , maybe more of the Coding
> community are not skilled enough to handle that eternal language) So lets see the data for the following year :-
> Hey , thats not possible ! Maybe someone tampered with the data.How can the number of users of a dying language increase ?  Maybe
> ,its not dying then ?
> Maybe, stats are for fools to ponder on.
> So, lets start by listing a few (maybe one of a millionth fraction) of the Software developed using Python

[Long list of Python-based systems.]
> This is just a few of the many applications. Rarely do you see a programming language with so much of diversity and used in so
> many scientific and non scientific fields.
>
> Even if these were insufficient, I have been in touch with a lot of Python developers and there is one thing I can say with 100%
> confidence , you will find no other programming language with as great a community as Python. The community of Python users is
> where lies its "undying" spirit .
>  Being a new member to the organization I was guided with a lot of warmth and friendliness. I felt that I had been a part of their
> family for years!
>
> EDIT : A little something I cooked up fro my Facebook share :-
>
> PYTHON : print "Sorry Assembly , didn't want to be rude to you!"
>
> ASSEMBLY :
> section .text
> global _start ;must be declared for linker (ld)
> _start: ;tells linker entry point
> mov edx,len ;message length
> mov ecx,msg ;message to write
> mov ebx,1 ;file descriptor (stdout)
> mov eax,4 ;system call number (sys_write)
> int 0x80 ;call kernel
> mov eax,1 ;system call number (sys_exit)
> int 0x80 ;call kernel
> section .data
> msg db ' NO WORRIES PYTHON, GLAD THAT PEOPLE STILL HAVE SOME NOSTALGIA ASSOCIATED WITH ME', 0xa ;our dear string

That's not the only way to do assembly.  If I wanted to go that way much, I'd start here: