[FoRK] Fwd: Ask Slashdot: Is C++ the Right Tool For This Project?

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Tue Jun 23 23:40:36 PDT 2015

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <slashnews at pestonia.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Subject: Ask Slashdot: Is C++ the Right Tool For This Project?
To: slashnews at pestonia.com

Link:
http://slashdot.org/story/15/06/24/0320207/ask-slashdot-is-c-the-right-tool-for-this-project
Posted by: Soulskill, on 2015-06-24 06:13:00
    [1]ranton writes: I am about to start a personal project which I
   believe should be done in C/C++. The main reasons I have for this are
   the needs to manage memory usage and disk access at a very granular
   level and a desire to be cross-platform. Performance is also important
   but I am unlikely to spend enough time optimizing to be much faster
   than core libraries of higher level languages.
   On the other hand, network access is also a critical part of the
   project and I am worried about the effort it takes to make cross
   platform code for both network and disk access. I have been working in
   the Java / C# world for the past decade and things like TCP/IP and SSL
   have just been done for me by core libraries. Do libraries like Boost
   or Asio do a good job of abstracting these aspects away? Or are there
   other options for doing granular memory and disk management with more
   high level languages that have better cross-platform library support? I
   am willing to brush up on my C/C++ skills if necessary but want to
   spend as much time as possible developing the unique and potentially
   innovative parts of my project. Thanks for any advice you can provide.