[FoRK] Fwd: Ask Slashdot: Is C++ the Right Tool For This Project?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 24 11:06:43 PDT 2015

I didn't answer the question; I provided a more nuanced set of choices and reasons for choosing them.  Teach the person to think...

C++ and Qt is cross-platform, high function
by sdw (6809) <sdw@@@lig...net> on 2015-06-24 11:03 (#49979249) Homepage

My preferred general purpose C++ solution would be to use Qt when possible. It already has virtually everything you would use in an
operating system with baseline networking, GUI, etc. already wrapped for cross-platform use in a clean, powerful way.

If you are writing a utility or a service, there are other choices. If you think you need the widest range of features, you might
need a native GUI, GPU access, etc., Qt is the only real choice.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, Node with C++ modules provides a nice base. It is even used as the basis for desktop
apps with web-based GUIs (see Atom editor https://atom.io/ [atom.io] .) You get Javascript scripting, full web server capability,
WebSockets for bidirectional communication, etc. Nginx is another possibility for something like that.

You could use Java or C# for portable-ish apps. In some ways, Qt seems even more portable now, especially for GUI and OS-specific
features. Java and C# also don't make for great UI without a lot of work, and then it tends to be sluggish. For UIs, you want either
a modern web UI, or a well-designed Qt UI. Interestingly, Qt includes a modern web capability embedded. Even the native Qt GUI is
styled using CSS.

For a pure server app, Java, Node (Javascript), Python (according to many), and C++ are good. PHP, because Facebook has improved it,
may be OK. Perl, Ruby/Rails, Drupal, WordPress, etc. all seem to be fading for app framework use because of developments in
Javascript libraries. WebComponents / Polymer SPAs are very interesting.