[FoRK] Ernie Going 3D at Matterport

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 29 16:59:32 PDT 2015

Technically, hard to copy well, but I'm sure other sites will copy it
badly so that they can say that they have the feature as well.

Most of the virtual tour sites just "Ken Burns" a set of photos, which
is more annoying than useful.  A couple have panoramas + a decent
viewer, and that is an improvement.

Matterport is pretty slick, and it definitely raises the bar on web
site presentation quality.  Considering that some owners won't even
spring for professional photos, though, I'm not sure how the extra
expense will be viewed.  (e.g. the house that looked substantially
better in person than in the photos, a reversal of the usual order.)

Ken Meltsner

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Centroids <drernie at radicalcentrism.org> wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> Thanks for the positive feedback. Quick question:
>
>> On Jun 27, 2015, at 13:45, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> The dollhouse view is quite useful and likely to be swiped by other 3D/VR systems.
>
> Out of curiosity: how do you see them doing that?  We use a ton of custom depth data and visitor processing to pull that off, and I can't imagine how someone else could fake it without going through that slog.
>
> If you know a way, we should hire you. :-)

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.