[FoRK] Planck Knowledge and Doing the Work

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Mon Oct 5 11:12:41 PDT 2015

Hi Stephen,

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:47 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>    In this world we have two kinds of knowledge. One is Planck knowledge, the people who really know. They’ve paid the dues, they have the aptitude. And then we’ve got chauffeur knowledge.
>
>    They have learned the talk. They may have a big head of hair, they may have fine temper in the voice, they’ll make a hell of an impression.
>
>    But in the end, all they have is chauffeur knowledge. I think I’ve just described practically every politician in the United States.

Great story. Amusingly, I am currently chatting with some friends about a startup designed to solve that very problem: creating a space (and business model) where people are inspired and enabled to “do the work” to become truly knowledgeable about political issues.

It is frightfully difficult, since most of the people who care about politics really only care about advocating their particular viewpoint, not “doing the work” necessary to understand other people’s viewpoints and craft solutions that are verifiably effective.

But if we could pull it off…