[FoRK] The Paradox of Power in the Network Age

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Mon Oct 12 08:37:25 PDT 2015

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 7:26 AM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
> It seems like there should be a widespread examination, deconstruction, and an engineered counter-influence to ISIL right now.  While we have extensive educational and evolutional campaigns for ourselves about various topics, we seem to have little understanding, interest, engagement, or influence in other parts of our world.  When misguided teenagers from first world countries go off to join ISIL, we're allowing a tragic failure to educate to even affect us.

In the case of the US, and the industrialized West generally, an effective program toward this end is some mixture of unethical, illegal, and culturally abhorrent. Special emphasis on “effective", not feel-good theater. In other words, it has little political viability. People know how to engineer “counter-influence” but at scale most people in the industrialized West would have a negative reaction to the required mechanisms no matter how subtle.

China may have the most advanced science on this since they can and do run population scale experiments that would be difficult to do in the US.