[FoRK] Belief

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 12 14:29:21 PDT 2015

This will be fun.

http://www.oprah.com/app/belief.html
Oprah Winfrey Presents 'Belief'
Journeying to the far reaches of world, and to places cameras have rarely been, "Belief" searches the origins of diverse faiths and
the heart of what really matters.

Seven billion people, searching for connection, redemption, meaning. Oprah Winfrey presents the seven-night event, "Belief," a
groundbreaking television event exploring humankind's ongoing search to connect with something greater than ourselves.

Journeying to the far reaches of the world, and to places cameras have rarely been, “Belief” searches the origins of diverse faiths
and the heart of what really matters. From the epic to the intimate, webbed throughout each hour are stories of people on spiritual
journeys, taking them to sacred spaces.

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/belief/Oprah-Winfrey-Presents-Belief#ixzz3oOHRl8HD

"To ask these questions is really the privilege of being human."
"Hope is the simple belief that things can change."

What makes something sacred?
http://www.oprah.com/belief/Oprah-on-What-Makes-Something-Sacred-Video
"Hold whatever it is you cherish within the realm and space of truth.
Because only the things that are absolutely born of truth can truly be sacred.
There is no difference between that which is sacred and that which is truth.
#Belief - Oprah"

This begs for a followup: "What is truth?"  I'm really curious what she would say since it is unlikely to be: "Truth is that which
has predictive value."
PS: Her explanation could be made to fit almost anything.  It a good opening pitch of a cult, for instance.  But, let's just plug in
the variables for me:
Science is Sacred.  Et Voila!

I expected her to feed the wolf on this one:
http://www.oprah.com/belief/Oprah-on-the-Nature-of-Humanity-Video

Looks like a nice watch.