[FoRK] wealth disparity amongst institutions of higher learning

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Tue Dec 8 05:16:03 PST 2015

This is an interesting stat: Endowment assets are concentrated, with 11%
of institutions holding 74% of all endowment assets in 2014.
Institutions with the largest endowments (Yale, Princeton, Harvard, and
Stanford) each hold more than 4% of total endowment assets.

But I guess the question is, so what?  Is that different than you
expected it to be?  The universities that have been around the longest
and have the most alumni and best reputation have the largest endowment
funds?

Universities are supposed to last decades or centuries and a large
endowment is a hedge against any uncertainties or threats to its survival.

Greg