[FoRK] geopolitics of low oil prices

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jan 12 15:04:38 PST 2016

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> We're going to be living in magical worlds
>
> ​"We", but not us.
>Many of us are within a few miles of the epicenters of magical devices, self-driving cars, voice recognition, image and object
recognition, concept encyclopedias being coupled to deep learning, and all the money anyone would need to make it all happen...

We're close to a time when a summer of code project could edit a genome to create a new animal or store data or make an enhancement
using CRISPR for $100.  Send a message to all of your progeny by editing in a GenomeCode in part of your unused DNA!  Show stripes
on your skin whenever you are on an odd milli-lay line (requires the GenomePS module and service).  Create glowing saliva, but only
when you kiss your betrothed!  What will you think of?  (For your safety, all DNA sequences reset at the end of the project.)

The magic is out there.  It's just not yet evenly distributed.

Of course, as always, one cycle's magic is the next cycle's ho hum standard engineering techniques.  Like AI (AGI really), it's only
magic when we don't know how to do it yet.