[FoRK] geopolitics of low oil prices

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 12 16:28:38 PST 2016

The cool part will be putting yourself under version control so that
you can choose whether to merge in changes or whether you need to
revert back to a "known good" state.  The hard part will be when you
accidentally break the build.

Ken Meltsner

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> And what do we do with the excess bodies on this planet? Sounds like a
> nightmare.
>
> And uploading is a non-starter. The uploaded is not you. If you're happy
> with a copy of yourself existing, then sure, fine. If I've about to die, I
> don't really care if someone creates a copy of me. My copy will be
> thrilled, I guess. (Simple thought experiments: (1) someone creates a copy
> of you when you are still alive. (2) someone creates 10 copies of you.)
>

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> There will be a line.  If you make it to that line in reasonable shape, it
>> will be possible to start leaping ahead, or rather leaping back in terms of
>> body age. Whether that happens much, how much it costs, who is allowed or
>> tries to stop it (religio-freakout driven geri-terrorists (geri-terries?),
>> of course), what the early adopter downsides are, how philosophy /
>> psychology / economics evolve to handle it, all of that is up in the air.
>> Medically, it is already happening.
>>
>> The line's a come'n.  Be ready to make a break for it boys and girls.
>> Start your training here:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Fire_%28novel%29
>>
>> Are you bright green?
>>
>> And that's before we even consider uploading to wet or dry hardware, which
>> seems more likely than ever.  Unless we seriously devalue individuals in
>> some sense, which also might happen. Perhaps you only get to upload as a
>> collective, Borg-style, when you assemble enough critical mass of value,
>> experience, etc. What's your denom?  (A denom of 1, i.e. 1/1, means you get
>> to upload with full integrity.  A denom of 10 means you get 1/10th of an
>> upload presence.)
>>
>> sdw
>>

>> On 1/12/16 3:10 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>>
>>> Just saying that I have no expectations of living to 200.
>>>
>>> (And if I did, shit, I'll have to work until I'm 140 to be able to
>>> retire...)

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.