[FoRK] bad ads

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Jan 22 10:47:58 PST 2016

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/better-ads-report.html

  Here are some types of bad ads we busted in 2015:
Counterfeiters
We suspended more than 10,000 sites and 18,000 accounts for attempting
to sell counterfeit goods (like imitation designer watches).

Pharmaceuticals
We blocked more than 12.5 million ads that violated our healthcare and
medicines policy, such as ads for pharmaceuticals that weren’t approved
for use or that made misleading claims to be as effective as
prescription drugs.

Weight loss scams
Weight loss scams, like ads for supplements promising
impossible-to-achieve weight loss without diet or exercise, were one of
the top user complaints in 2015. We responded by suspending more than
30,000 sites for misleading claims.

Phishing
In 2015, we stepped up our efforts to fight phishing sites, blocking
nearly 7,000 sites as a result.

Unwanted software
Unwanted software can slow your devices down or unexpectedly change your
homepage and keep you from changing it back. With powerful new
protections, we disabled more than 10,000 sites offering unwanted
software, and reduced unwanted downloads via Google ads by more than 99
percent.

Trick to click
We got even tougher on ads that mislead or trick people into interacting
with them—like ads designed to look like system warnings from your
computer. In 2015 alone we rejected more than 17 million.