[FoRK] Can Mattel bring Thomas the Tank Engine into the 21st century?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 1 18:20:10 PDT 2016

Hard to retrofit diversity, but worth the effort to try.  The
characters may come off as stereotypes, but characterizations aimed at
a primary school crowd aren't going to be subtle -- the characters
would seem just as stereotyped if the traits were assigned at random.

Updating the Tank Engine universe to no longer incorporate binary
gender expectations is clearly going to have to wait for a few years.

Ken Meltsner

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Rohit Khare <rkhare at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/03/30/can_mattel_bring_thomas_the_tank_engine_into_the_21st_century.html
>
> Ashima, on the other hand, would have benefited from having one less trait:
> She’s beautiful, fast, and kind, in other words, a steam engine who has it
> all. Bless her.

After 30+ years of email, I have used up my supply of clever ,sig material.